Frequently Asked Questions to
Antique Gas Stoves
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Can you explain why I should buy or restore an vintage
/ antique stove?
- A: There are many reasons but here a just a few.
- The stoves are of superior quality of stove made today.
- The gage of metals used is far better.
- The stoves we sell are comparable to any commercial stoves
- There is no need to have power to the stove in most cases
except for the clock and lights. So if your power fails you can
still bake and use the stove top unlike the new stoves with electronic
- There are many more reasons to have an antique stove please
call our office for more details.
- Q:Why do you show so many pictures of the stoves that you
sell? Most of the other stove sellers only show one photo of
- A: Your question should be why are the other stove restorers
not willing to show you the details of their work or close ups
of knobs, clocks interiors of the stove etc. We show you photos
of the stove inside and out and under the stove tops so when
you purchase from us you know you have received the highest quality
- Q:Do you have a warranty on the stoves that you sell?
- A: Yes we do! On the stoves we sell we give a one full year
warranty. Click here to see how we restore
the stoves that we sell.
- Q: Are you licensed to do repairs/restoration and sells of
- A: Yes we are licensed by the State Of California and anyone
that is going to do repairs/restorations or sells of stoves in
the State of California has to be licensed by the State of California.
- Q: Do we have to join a old appliance club to get help with
restorations we want to do on our stove?
- A: No! We provide a help section on
how to remove and reinstall your parts. If you want reporcelain
or rechrome we also provide information
for these services. If you can't find the answer to your questions
please call or email us.
- Q: On the stoves that you sell do the clocks and timers work?
- A: Yes! We sell only full restored stoves. All the components
- Q: Can you rebuild my clock or timer from my stove?
- A: We can rebuild most clocks & timers.
More rebuild information is here.
- Q: My pilot light is on in the oven or broiler but my oven
or broiler won't come on.
- A: Did you reset the safety valve for the oven or broiler
? Is your clock in the manual setting (M)? If so and the oven/broiler
won't come on you may have a problem with you safety valve or
your thermocouple. We can rebuild most safety valves, how
to remove the safety valves and thermocouples the thermocouples
will have to be replaced.
- Q: Do you have new knobs and handles for my old stove?
- A: We have some new knobs and
handles please check the stove parts
section for other items you may need. We also have good used
knobs and handles in our used inventory. We do not show all the
used knobs and handles we have on the website. Please email photos
- Q: My oven or broiler door won't close all the way or stay
closed are there springs for the doors?
- A: Yes most oven and or broilers have springs. We have shown
on our website the most common springs
and don't forget to check the stove parts
section for other items you may need.
- Q: How can I change my stove from Natural gas to Propane
gas or from Propane to Natural gas ?
- A: We sell a converter /regulator
it is designed so you do not have to change all of the orifices
on the stove.
- Q: My light switch in the oven doesn't push in or work can
it be replaced?
- A: Yes! We sell door switches, panel switches, light sockets
and other electrical parts.
- Q: Do you have an owner's manual for my old stove?
- A: Original owner's manuals/cookbooks are difficult to come
by. We have reprinted a few operating instruction/manuals reprint manuals. We have also reprinted
some thermostat cooking guides and clock and timer instruction
sheets. reprint manuals.
- Q: Can the grates and burner heads on my stove be refinished/reporcelained?
- A: Yes! If they are not broken or burned through, if the
parts are broken or burned through. If your parts are broken
or burned through we can repair most grates and burner heads
at an additional cost. To reporcelain
the grates (what you set the pots & pans on) and burner heads
(what the fire comes out of). You can send them one side at a
- Q: Why should I have the grates and burner heads on my stove
- A: There are several reasons you should consider having the
grates and burner heads reporcelained here are a few:
- Porcelain is a protective coating against the constant heat
from the flame at the burner head and to the grate.
- Once the porcelain coating has burnt away it can cause damage
to the cast iron parts. Such as holes to burner heads and cracks
- New porcelain coatings can add many more years of care free
use to the stove.
- Cleaning is much easier once the parts have been reporcelained.
- It adds a fresh new look to the stove top making the stove
look new and well cared for.
- For more information and photos click this link reporcelain
- Q: The chrome parts on my old stove are scratched up or rusted.
Can they be rechromed?
- A: Yes! If they are not pitted badly they can usually be
rechromed. Most scratches and light
surface rust can be removed prior to being rechromed. Occasionally
a piece is so badly pitted that the pits cannot be completely
- Q: Can I take my chrome pieces to a local chrome shop and
have the work done instead of sending the parts to you?
- A: Yes! But please click the link to view one of many email's
that we receive, about why you should use our service instead
of using your local chrome shop that is not familiar with the
old stoves. chrome services
- Q: I have chips in the porcelain on parts of my old stove.
Can they be restored?
- A: Most parts can be reporcelained to like new condition.
We can quote you prices to reporcelain the pieces that you need
to have reporcelained. Some parts cannot be reporcelained to
look exactly like the original part. An example would be a front
control panel with lettering that is made into the porcelain.
The part can be reporcelained, but it will no longer have the
Sometimes the metal is too thin to be reporcelained. The old
porcelain has to be sandblasted off before new porcelain can
be fired on. If the metal is too thin because of rust or too
much exposure to flame, it will pinhole or blow through during
the sandblasting. Click here for reporcelain
- Q: The temperature control on my oven doesn't seem to work.
The temperature in the oven is not what it says on the control.
Can this be corrected?
- A: The thermostat (temperature control) is no longer working
properly and it needs to be rebuilt. We can usually rebuild your
original thermostat, assuming no one else has taken it apart
and the pieces are all there. Replacement thermostats are available,
and will not match the style of your stove. Replacement
Thermostat Contact us for a quote and instructions on how
to arrange a rebuild. More rebuild information
- Q: The adjustment valves on my stove top burners are difficult
to turn, don't turn at all, or they don't work right. Can you
- A: Yes! The burner valves can be rebuilt to turn and function
properly. Again, you must have original valves for us to rebuild
(no replacement valves). If you don't have the originals, the
price will be considerably higher. Contact us for a quote and
instructions on how to arrange a rebuild. Burner
valve rebuild information is here.
- Q: Can I have my chipped porcelain pieces powder coated,
or should they be reporcelained?
- A: You should have the pieces reporcelained. Powder coating
will not withstand the temperatures reached during the cooking
process, it will discolor. Porcelain will remain beautiful for
years. Click here for reporcelain
- Q: I don't know how or I don't want to remove the parts that
I want to have restored what can I do?
- A: You can call an appliance repair company or a handyman
to remove & reinstall the parts that you want to send to
us for restoration. If they have any questions they can call
us for help
- Q: Can you reporcelain my bathtub or sink?
- A: No! It is a different process than we use.
- Q: Can you restore my wood burning or electric stove?
- A: No! We only restore antique gas stoves.
- Q: Can you install modern electronic igniters in my antique
- A: No! It is against California state law to change or modify
any system, along with the fact that you would ruin the best
cooking features of the stove.
We received this beautiful email
and wanted to share it with everyone
in whole or in part in any form or medium without
express written permission of Antique Gas Stoves is prohibited.
2023 Antique Gas Stoves ® All rights reserved.
See our fully restored antique
Reporcelain / Porcelain
service for your vintage antique stove
Rechrome / Chrome service for
your vintage antique stove
See how we restore the vintage
styled gas stoves that we sell
Have a good time looking
at some our beautiful vintage antique gas stoves
O'Keefe & Merritt antique
stove Western Holly retro stove Classic Wedgewood stove
Tappan antique gas stove
Custom color green Roper Dixie Apartment size stove 1950's Vintage
Aristocrat O'Keefe & Merritt stove
Glossary of stove part names.
If you don't know what your antique appliance part is called this
View our full line of antique
Gas Leak Detector, Shut-Off
Valves, Replacement Mini Pilots, Replacement Thermostats, Thermostat
Block-Off Kits, Teflon Tape, Flex Gas Line, Propane or Natural
Gas Regulators, Thermocouples, Adapters & Clips, Burners and
Porcelain Sockets, Bulbs,
Range Wire, Heat Shrink Tubing, Ready Lights, Switches and Ceramic
Oven Door Spring, Cables,
Rods, & Oven - Range Insulation
O'Keefe & Merritt Griddle
Knobs, Knob Rings, Handles, Salt & Pepper Shakers, Oven Door
Handles, Heat Vent Covers & Oven and Griddle Glass for your
Old original parts for
Reprint manuals are available
for O'Keefe & Merritt Western
Thermostat guides for Robertshaw, Grayson, Wilcolator
Guides for International Automatic
Oven Timer & International Interval Timer.
Illustrated Help Section for removing
your thermostat safety valve burner valves clock and or timer
& burner heads
We can rebuild your Robertshaw
Grayson Thermostat can be
rebuilt at Antique Gas Stoves
Antique Gas Stoves rebuild section
for Wilcolator Thermostats
Assessment Service for the value
of your classic vintage stove.
Check out About
Antique Gas Stoves Section for questions about antique stoves
Shipping services for parts
or shipping of your new restored stove - we provide shipping world
wide of our fully restored. vintage antique gas stoves
Printable shipping labels
for sending your antique stove parts in to be restored
Rebuilding Section for your
thermostat safety valve burner valve clock and timer
Repair of your burner
heads - grates - simmer caps restored
Visit our Coming Soon section
for stoves that we are going to restore or stoves that are in
the restoration process.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions
to Antique Gas Stoves
See what we are cookin up on our
How to contact us at Antique
Examples of O'Keefe & Merritt
Vintage Antique Stoves
Examples of Wedgewood Antique
Examples of Western Holly
Examples of Roper Classic Gas
Examples of Tappan Retro Stoves
Examples of Antique Chambers
Examples of Vintage
Gaffers & Sattler Stoves
Reporcelain / Porcelain
service for your Viking, Wolf, Russell, DCS, KitchenAid, Kenmore,Whirlpool,
Roper, Frigidaire, General Electric, Hotpoint, Maytag, Jenn Air,
Magic Chef, Tappan, Chambers, US Range,Dacor,Thermador and many
more name brands